In this exercise, you will add to your pipe network by creating pipes and structures that connect to existing structures.
Whenever you are laying out a pipe network, you have the option of connecting to existing pipe network parts. Autodesk Civil 3D gives you visual cues when the pipe or structure you are creating will either connect to an existing object or break a pipe to create a junction.
In the previous exercise, you used the Draw Pipes And Structures tool to place structures and pipes simultaneously. In this exercise, you will add catch basins using the Draw Structures Only tool, and then connect the catch basins to network using the Draw Pipes Only tool.
This exercise continues from Creating a Pipe Network by Layout.
This exercise uses Pipe Networks-1B.dwg with the modifications you made in the previous exercise, or you can open Pipe Networks-1C.dwg from the tutorials drawings folder.
Add structures to the pipe network
- In the drawing, select a pipe network part. Right-click. Click Edit Network.
- In the Structures list, ensure that Eccentric Cylindrical Structure >> Eccentric Structure 48 Dia 18 Frame 24 Cone 5 Wall 6 Floor is selected.
- Toggle the Upslope/Downslope option to (downslope).
- Click Structures Only.
- On the command line, enter ‘SO.
- Click a label on the ROAD1 alignment to select it.
- Create a structure by entering 960 for the station and 15 as the offset.
- Repeat Step 7 to add structures that are offset 15 feet from stations 11+10, 12+60, and 13+10.
- Press Enter twice to exit the Station Offset and Add Structures commands.
Add pipes to the pipe network
- In the Pipes list, ensure that 18 Inch Concrete Pipe is selected.
- On the Network Layout Tools toolbar, click Pipes Only.
- Place the cursor over the structure that is offset 15 from station 9+60.A connection marker that indicates that the pipe can be attached to the structure is displayed.
- With the connection marker displayed, click the structure to connect the new pipe to it.
- Place the cursor over the structure that is offset -15 feet from station 9+50. With the connection marker displayed, click the structure to connect the new pipe to it.
- On the command line, enter S to select a new start point.
- Repeat Steps 3 through 6 to add pipes between the structures that are offset 15 feet from stations 11+10, 12+60, and 13+10 and the main network.
- Press Enter twice to exit the Station Offset and Add Pipes commands.
Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Please see the Autodesk Creative Commons FAQ for more information.